CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2002

From:
Mark Cannell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:55:51 +1200

When I look at transmission curves for good dichroic mirrors in their pass band I can't see how it would be impossible to achieve such a gain from just changing a dichroic mirror (unless it was bad to start with). Good dichroic pass about 80-90% . IMO such a gain could only be achieved if the wavelength of interest is very close the the transition region of the dichroic or the dichroic in question was not very good... It may be that the term 'dichroic' may have included the barrier filter properties where higher losses may occur. The very best barrier filters transmit ~80% but some may  be <50%. Some sample transmission/barrier curves that support this view can be examined at

http://www.chroma.com

I have no commercial interest in that company by the way.

Regards Mark Cannell