CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2023

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2023 22:38:18 -0400
To join or leave the confocal microscopy listserv or to change your email address, go to:
https://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=confocalmicroscopy&A=1

Suggestion 1:

Custom SuperBoost tyramide (plus poly-HRP, H2O2 etc) using Alexa Fluor
750 or Alexa Fluor 790.

https://www.thermofisher.com/us/en/home/life-science/cell-analysis/cellular-imaging/immunofluorescence/tyramide-signal-amplification-tsa.html

Suggestion 2:

Biotin-XX tyramide https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/B40951

with Alexa Fluor 790 (or 750) conjugate
https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/S11378?SID=srch-srp-S11378

Suggestion 3:

tyramide etc from some other company. For example, table 2 Styramide(s)

https://www.aatbio.com/catalog/power-styramide-signal-amplification-psa

has iFluor 750 Styramide, and if click on "all" option for items per
ppage (below right of table), also iFluor 790 Styramide, with links going to

https://www.aatbio.com/products/ifluor-750-styramide-superior-replacement-for-alexa-fluor-750-tyramide?unit=45065

https://www.aatbio.com/products/ifluor-790-styramide-superior-replacement-for-alexa-fluor-790-tyramide?unit=45070

On a good day, on the right specimen, tyramide signal amplification
might be 100x brighter than typical unlabeled primary antibody +
fluorescent secondary antibody. See Andrew Belmont's  paper(s), PubMed
32609799, MMB chp might also be helpful 35867249,  for activated
tyramide usable diffusion distances (and reagents to tune distance).

For iterative multiplexing (ThermoFisher, AATBio above, Akoya, Tocris,
etc, have lots of fluorophore-tyramides),

* a nice way (and great product name) to inactivate HRP between rounds
is Biocare's PeroxAbolish.

* Fitzgerald Industries streptavidin poly-HRP
https://shop.bio-connect.nl/chemicals/streptavidin-poly-hrp80-conjugate/65r-s105phrp_100ug/sfid/4747310
is an alternative to the tyramide vendors kit HRP conjugates.

* I note that in (theoretical) a "tyrosine desert", activated
tyramide-fluorophores might not have any tyrosines to react with. More
likely, previous round(s) of TSA could have reacted with all available
tyramides.

***

pco.edge 5.5 ... QE peak 60% https://www.excelitas.com/product/pcoedge-55-usb-scmos-camera

Next camera could be a back-illuminated sCMOS if you want to routinely
have good NIR sensitivity.

I do note our FISHscope
http://confocal.jhu.edu/current-equipment/fishscope  Hamamatsu
ORCA-FLASH4.0v2 (front illuminated sCMOS, ~80% peak QE in the visible)
works well with RNAscope NIR (Cy7?) and Alexa Fluor 750 antibodies.

Maybe not cost feasible (though might be able to decant the D2O to save
some money?), Maillard 2020 Chem Sci reported the (the OH) in H2O
quenches many red and NIR fluorophores, and that D2O does not quench,
see Fig 2g, for example Cy7 in H2O vs D2O

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34163898/#&gid=article-figures&pid=fig-2-uid-1

I hypothesize that deuterated (just need the OD's) glycerol would work
as well, and higher refractive index than D2O (for viscosity reasons,
something like 80% "D" glycerol : 20% D2O, careful to not stir in O2,
another quencher, may be more practical).

I also note that AF610X (X is just a linker, all their expts are in
solution) is more than 2x brighter than Alexa Fluor 594 or Alexa Fluor
568. Yet ThermoFisher has never featured Alexa Fluor 610(X) on
antibodies, tyramides, etc.

***

happy 2023 and beyond,

George