CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2008

Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:22:27 +1000

Two quite separate comments on this thread.

1. Often, in response to the referees, I have to change figures.
Maybe group them differently (which means changing letters) or
alter the labelling.  I suppose I should go back to the original
images and re-create the entire plate, but if the changes are
minor it's much easier to (for example) black out 'a' and paste
in 'b', or take out an arrow and put in a letter, etc.  All these
things would presumably show up as 'fraud' ....

2.  A point nobody has yet raised is deconvolution imaging
systems.  Clinicians love them, but they have no training in physics
(and, to be honest, not much in science).  None of them has the
first idea what the software is doing, just that it's giving them
the pictures they want.  How does anyone handle that?

                                                   Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
    http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
Mobile 0413 281 861
     http://www.guycox.net