CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2001

From:
Bartek Rajwa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:25:58 +0200
On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Nico Stuurman wrote:

> We have problems setting up a network connection with the OS2/warp machine
> that came with our Biorad MRC1024.  Specifically, the machine can connect
> with every machine outside of our network but not with any inside our
> network.  Apparently this is due to the archaic network software on the OS2
> machine, it does not let the sysadmin set the right routing options but
> insists on adding the 'wrong' ones.

Nico,

Please be more specific about the network you want to activate. There are
at least three types of networking arrangements that can be set-up on a
OS/2 system: SMB/CIFS networks (Netbios/Netbui or Netbios over TCP/IP),
IPX/SPX (Netware) and pure TCP/IP. All of them are working without a
glitch on our OS/2 box controlling the Biorad machine - users can connect
to the box via standard Windows networking from any MS Windows system or
they can use FTP to fetch their files. Contary to popular belief OS/2
networking capabilities are very strong and its TCP/IP stack is much
better than those you can find in some popular Microsoft operating
systems.

Anyway... I guess that you talk about TCP/IP setup, but then (in the other
letter) you mentioned connection to NT (via Netbios? via Netbios over
TCP/IP?). You also said that something was wrong with the routing since
your machine can see computers "outside" of your network but not "inside".
How do you define "outside" and "inside"?

If we assume that "outside" means everything behind the router (or in a
different subnetwork) then we clearly see that your routing works.
Otherwise you wouldn't be able to ping those machines. If we also assume
that "inside" means "in this same subnetwork" we must conclude that
routing has nothing to do with it - packets don't have to be routed in
this same subnetwork (they should go straight from one computer to the
other) [*]

> Does anyone know how to solve this problem or where to find the information
> needed to solve it?

I need some specific information to help you: what are your MPTS settings
(card, protocols), how is your network arranged (protocols used, type of
server, router), which version of OS/2 you run, what have you put as a
"default router" into your TCP/IP settings?

If you want to find a solution yourself try "Getting to Know OS/2 Warp 4"
by Neil Stokes (I guess you use Warp 4).

Amazon UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0138421471/qid%3D985860369/202-2047533-6073410

and/or the following Web page:
http://www.os2ezine.com/v2n7/warpwin.htm
http://www.nfwa.com/os2/help/internetrelated.html
http://www.flash.net/~roknrob/sea.htm

Bartek Rajwa

[*] travelling from one computer to the other in this same subnetwork
packets can pass through hubs and switches, but still my point is valid -
they are not "routed" by those boxes. Routing is done by router (usually a
separate specialized machine, but sometimes this task is delegated to a
computer used as a server)

--
[log in to unmask]    | Does anybody else find irony in the fact that
tel.+4812 6341305 x 291 | Bill Gates says he's trying to write a stable