CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2014

From:
Michael Giacomelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2014 22:01:37 -0500

Hi Lu,

For very broadband coupling in the visible, I'm not sure which objectives
would work best.  Most likely a 10x achromatic objective would be fine,
although a fluorite may be needed if you are very sensitive to chromatic
aberration.  I've mostly worked in the NIR however, so I can't recommend
you a specific objective.

The beam expander optics will also introduce aberrations.  How much this
matters depends a lot on what your system will look like.  Unfortunately,
it is very difficult to understand precisely how aberrations will propagate
through a microscope system as objective vendors rarely if ever provide
technical details or model files for their optics.  Fortunately, designing
diffraction limited beam expanders is usually not very difficult.  If you
use relatively long focal length achromats, and use a Galilean expander
(not Keplerian) you will likely be fine. And try to avoid any elements with
focal lengths less than 100 mm (positive or negative).

 If you have access to Zemax however, I recommend simulating to be
certain.  For example, just trying an ACN254-100A and an AC254-200A to
build a 2:1 6 mm to 12 mm expander into a 20x high NA paraxial objective, I
get less than 500 nm of focal shift over your entire range, and 0.013 waves
of spherical aberration (so well below diffraction limited) because the
aberration from the positive and negative elements almost entirely cancels
out.

Mike