CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2002

From:
Kevin Frischmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:32:46 -0400

At 04:29 PM 10/23/02 +0200, you wrote:

>> The DVD format issue does cause me some concern, with the -RW and the
>> +RW differences.  I would hate to make the wrong investment decision
>> because Phillips and Pioneer can't agree
>
>For christmas most companies will have "dual use" devices. Right now there are 2 models:
>Sony DRU-500A and NEC ND-1100A. Both can work with DVD+RW and DVD-
>RW.
>
>:-) Torsten

----------

I've been waiting a while for some solution to the "format wars".  The other nice thing about the recent "dual drive" releases from Sony is that pricing is becoming very affordable (~$300-$325 for DRU-500A), and of course will decrease further with increased production and competition that should pick up steam early 2003.
Sony also has the external model DRX-500UL (~$375-$400 street price), which is slated for early November distribution in the USA and is the only external model for the near future.  This one not only supports multiple disc formats, but is compatible with both IEEE-1394/firewire (i.link in Sony-speak) and USB 2.0 (which is backwards-compatible with USB 1.x versions).

The issue brought up in another post of increased reliability & # of rewrites with DVD-RAM is a valid one, though probably more of a concern if the media is being used as a primary backup solution.  It's my impression that DVD-RAM suffers some in performance compared to competing formats.  For those who need DVD-RAM compatibility, look for DVD "multi-drive" models, which are also just beginning to show up.  These drives support both DVD-RAM and DVD-RW (and associated formats), but not the +RW set of formats.  (DVD-RAM discs must be removed from the cartridge in all upcoming models I've seen)

So, no one drive supports all formats yet, but if just one more format can be added to either or both drive types, we will at last have the "universal" DVD drive.  At least there is little concern anymore about getting stuck with a drive that only supports an orphaned format.

-Kevin

Kevin Frischmann, Laboratory Manager
Microscopy & Imaging Facility
American Museum of Natural History