CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2009

From:
Keith Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:32:30 +0100
I'd also recommend the trying the plastic cover-slip thickness membrane
slides and wells from Ibidi:

Ibidi ì-well MultiWell, micro-channel and Flask 3x1" slides [new product]
for slide cell culture and hi-res microscopy imaging. Go to Ibidis web site.
Wells and channels with a 150ìm membrane cover-slip on a standard slide
http://www.ibidi.de/products/p_disposables.html

Griener also make utra-thin Lumox membrane [as well as glass or plastic]
wells and slides for inverted microscope viewing:
Greiner bio-one MultiWell and SlideFlask slides [new product] for slide cell
culture and microscopy imaging. Download Greiner Culture Slide Brochure. 1
to 8 wells on a Lumox membrane, cover-slip or glass slide
http://www.well.ox.ac.uk/cytogenetics/downloads/Griener MultiWell & Flask
Slides.pdf

You can of course buy the Mattek dishes as uncoated, poly-d-lysine coated,
or collagen coated, plus they offer two cover-slip surfaces [standard glass
and plastic CS1 - the latter's unsuitable for oil immersion though] that
might help.
http://www.glass-bottom-dishes.com/faq.html#typedish
http://www.glass-bottom-dishes.com/coverslips.html

Our workshop back at the Institute of Ophthalmology, UCL, did try making our
own 'Mattek' style dishes with coverslips of our choice, but it was hard
cutting out the circle at the base of the Petri dish and they gave up. I did
consider laser cutting out-sourcing to make the hole [that we used very
successfully for cutting our plastic CR-39 autoradiography 3x1" slides years
ago] and applying the cover-slip of choice, but it was easier just buying in
the Mattek dishes as they generally worked OK for our cell biologists.

Most suppliers offer free samples to try out.

Regards

Keith

For more web-links see
http://www.well.ox.ac.uk/external-website-links

Dr Keith J. Morris,
Molecular Cytogenetics and Microscopy Core,
Laboratory 00/069 and 00/070,
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics,
Roosevelt Drive,
Oxford  OX3 7BN,
United Kingdom.

Telephone:  +44 (0)1865 287568