CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 1998

From:
Philip Oshel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 13:52:00 -0500
Have your tried the same basic solution used to isolate EMs from rotary
pump vibration? Put a large mass in the line between the power supply and
the laser. In this case, take two lead bricks and on facing surfaces form a
groove the same size as the power cable along the long axis of the brick.
"The small size" insures that the cable is minimally compressed but in good
contact with the bricks. The lead bricks will then dampen the vibrations in
the cable because of their mass.

Putting the power supply on foam will work better if the foam is on a massy
weight, like a lead brick, scrap iron, solid chunk of concrete, etc. The
heavier the better.

Note: these masses may/will still pass low-frequency vibrations (<10 Hz
typically).

Phil

>We have noticed a problem with our argon confocal since beginning some high
>mag. work (100x with 2x zoom).  We are seeing some very regular horizontal
>gitter. With slow scan the image shifts horizontally by a few pixels and
>does so every few lines. Therefore the image appears banded.  We now think
>the problem may be due to vibration of the laser power supply that is being
>transmitted up the power cable to the laser (which vibrates noticeably) and
>finally to the scan head (which also seems to have a very subtle
>vibration).  We have tried to dampen the vibration of the laser power
>supply by setting it on some foam rubber, but there is still noticeable
>vibration travelling up the cord to the laser. Has anyone had this problem
>and found a solution?  Thanks for any input.
>
>Tim
>
>Timothy Gomez, PhD
>Dept of Biology - 0357
>UCSD