CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2013

From:
James Pawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2013 09:24:45 -0700

Hi all,

May I add two points to this important discussion?

1. My usual point: Maybe it is relevant that when
looking at the refection from a mirror, one has
an essentially infinite level of signal (the
reflection of a mW laser beam) that is millions
if not billions of times larger than that
available from viewing a fluorescent bead that is
only 100 nm in diameter. Because of this, it is
common to cylindrically average the signal in the
case of the bead, a process that can mask the
effect of asymmetries in the OTF such as the
astigmatism caused by imperfect beam splitters or
improper alignment.

Apart from this, Poisson noise will have a much
greater effect in terms of introducing
uncertainty..

2. My other usual point: Is spherical aberration
involved? Beads are made of plastic and the RI of
plastic may or may not be the same as that of the
surrounding medium or that for which the
objective was designed. Of course, one assumes
that this has little effect when the diameter of
the bead is 50nm, but as such beads usually give
only about 1/8th the signal of 100nm beads made
of the same material and only about 1/64th the
signal of 200nm beads, point 1 (above) can drive
the user to larger beads (and larger pinhole
settings). I have no calculation to describe the
blurring effect of using any particular design of
bead in any specific mounting medium, however, I
would expect such blurring to be more pronounced
in the z than in the x-y direction because some
of the rays from focus planes on the far side
have to pass through the bead. This would be even
more important is the entrance pupil of the
objective is not fully and evenly filled by the
laser beam.

Perhaps one should also point out the
peculiarities of the light signal reflected from
a flat RI interface, such as that between
coverslip and water, compared to that produced by
reflection from a metallic mirror. The former
will contain proportionally more signal from
"high-NA" rays than from those approaching the
interface at closer to normal incidence and there
is also the fact that the amount reflected at an
RI interface varies strongly with the angle
between the polarization of a high-NA ray and the
orientation of the surface. The asymmetric
doughnut-shaped apodization resulting from these
effects can make the "z-resolution" look better
(or worse) than it would be otherwise.

I can see the
"thin-layer-of-fluorescent-immersion-oil"
specimen being useful for measuring the
performance of oil-immersion lenses, but how does
one use it to measure the performance of water or
glycerine objectives?

The
"thin-layer-of-fluorescent-molecules-deposited-on-glass"
specimens do not have this problem, but I would
guess that the signal levels might be lower and
there could be orientation effects related to the
alignment between the (possibly non-random)
dipole axes of the dye and the electric field
orientation of a convergent and polarized light
beam.

More to the point, who has compared the PSF of a
bead near the coverslip surface with one embedded
even a few µm inside a watery (living?)
biological specimen? My few attempts to do so
have revealed pronounced asymmetries that are
readily visible by eye (as long as the eye is
observing and the stored image collected from the
CCD). In other words, apart from its use as a
(very important) check on instrument performance,
do we really need to know the PSF or FWHM etc to
such precision?

Regards,

Jim Pawley

--
James and Christine Pawley, 5446 Burley Place (PO
Box 2348), Sechelt, BC, Canada, V0N3A0,