CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 1997

Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 01:15:47 -0800
Hello,

I use DiI to label precursor cells for the first skeletal muscles in
chick embryo somites, then I monitor the resulting DiI labeled myotome
fibers in embryo whole mounts after overnight embryo growth using
confocal microscopy. I have had no trouble finding DiI labeled myotome
fibers after fixation with formaldehyde.  That is, 4% formaldehyde in
water, fixed at room temperature for 6 hours, then rinsed 1 time in
phosphate buffered saline and store in this saline solution for 1-3 days
before confocal imaging.  The DiI solution is made at 0.25% in glycofurol
(Sigma) and is applied to the somite dermomyotome tissue by iontophoresis.

Hope this works for you,

Wilfred Denetclaw Jr., Ph.D.

Wilfred Denetclaw Jr., Ph.D.             Tina Denetclaw, Pharm.D. , BCPS
Department of Anatomy and                Assistant Clinical Professor
Cardiovascular Research Institute   &    School of Pharmacy (Box 0622)
University of California                 University of California
San Francisco, CA. 94143-0452            San Francisco, CA  94143
(415)476-1530 (Office)                   [log in to unmask] (E-mail)
(415)476-4845 (FAX)
[log in to unmask] (E-mail)