CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2024

From:
Arnaud ROYON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2024 15:57:10 +0100
To join or leave the confocal microscopy listserv or to change your email address, go to:
https://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=confocalmicroscopy&A=1

Hi Claire,

In microscopes equipped with lasers, it is known that the laser
polarization influences the resolution.
In confocal microscopes, the PSF is the product of the illumination PSF
and the detection PSF.
The illumination PSF is broader in the direction of the beam’s original
polarization.
The detection PSF is not influenced by the polarization, because the
fluorescence is usually not polarized.

Some confocal laser scanning microscopes on the market illuminate the
sample with linearly polarized light, some with circularly polarized light.
1) In the first case, the linear polarization gives rise to an
elongation of the PSF along the direction of the incident linear
polarization. In this article from Jonkman and co-workers [J. E. N.
Jonkman et al., Methods in Enzymology 360, 416–446 (2003)], this
elongation has been theoretically quantified to about 17 %. In practice,
it can be more. There is another interesting paper from Li and
co-workers [Q. Li et al., Advanced Device Materials 1, 4–10 (2015)], in
which you can find both the theory about the influence of the incident
polarization on the illumination PSF and a comparison of measurements
from gold beads with the theory.
2) In the second case, the circular polarization gives rise to an
isotropic PSF.

Does this mean that microscopes in which the illumination is circularly
polarized provide a better resolution than those in which the
illumination is linearly polarized? Not necessarily, because there is no
such thing as a free lunch. Indeed, dichroic mirrors in the microscopes
are optimal for linear polarization, which results in better
signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) in the images. Since the resolution is
limited by the SNR, the "bad thing" (the elongation of the PSF in one
direction for linear polarization) can be compensated by a "good thing"
(a better SNR in the images).

This is why our leitmotiv at Argolight is: when one wants to measure
resolution, it is important to associate the minimum measurable
separation distance to a contrast criterion, as well as to
signal-to-noise and signal-to-background ratios, because all these
parameters influence what we usually call "resolution".

Best regards,
Arnaud

*Arnaud ROYON, Ph.D.*
/CEO & CSO, Co-founder/
Argolight
Cité de la Photonique, Bat. Elnath
11 avenue de Canteranne
33600 Pessac, FRANCE
Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: (+33) 5 64 31 08 50
Web site: www.argolight.com <http://www.argolight.com>
If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this email in
error), please notify the sender immediately and destroy this email.
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in
this email are strictly forbidden. Thank you.