CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2002

Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 11:28:11 +0100

Dear Mr. Kozubek,

nice to hear from you again.

I would like to give some answers and explanations in
response to your email.

It is right that the confocal CGS OptoLine is a complete
system which includes the OptiGrid technique developed by
Tony Wilson (University of Oxford).

I would like to extend the list you gave us

 System    Technique               Light_Throughput  Light_Source  Imaging
 CARV      Nipkow_disk                    5%         Mercury_lamp  Direct
 CSU-10    Nipkow_disk+Microlenses    up to 40-60%   Laser         Direct
 CSU-10    Nipkow_disk+Microlenses        4%         Mercury_lamp  Direct
 OptoLine  Single_frequency_grid      up to 65-75%   Mercury_lamp  Indirect
 OptoLine  Single_frequency_grid      up to 65-75%   Halogen_lamp  Indirect

your Point 6)
The OptoLine aquires a 1.3 MPixel confocal image/sec. It
depends also on the integration time of the camera. If you are using a
camera which is not so light intense it might take longer.
So this means OptoLine is at least as fast as the fastest
full frame CLSM at MPixel resolution.

Your point 7)
The algorithm is not unpublished! The confocal image is formed by
the algorithm which was already published by Tony Wilson in his
original article.

Your point 8)
The resolution of the confocal images captured with the OptoLine
system depends on the resolution of your microscope
objectives. The images are not processed by any additional
steps. The algorithm mentioned in point 7) is simply subtractive.

Your point 9)
During the demonstration we made together I was using an
earlier hardware and software version of the OptoLine
system.

If anybody would like to see the results of CGS OptoLine they can
contact us for a demonstration.

mfg / regards

Anneliese Schmaus
Product Manager