CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2000

From:
Jose Feijo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 03:24:28 +0000
Regarding NMR, perhaps it should be usefull to remember that this is NOT a single cell technique, rather a population measurement, usually starting with, at least, 1 gram of material. And assumes, of course, that all cells in a population behave reasonably synchrousnouly. Guess that rules out most system I know...

Regarding the AM hypothesis, again that may be usefull for animal cells, but I doubt it will work reliably in plant/fungal cells, where there are esterases everywhere, including the cell wall, and where a significant proportion on unchanged dye goes directly to the vacuole and ER without de-esterification, creating an highly uneven distribuition of the dye, which I can't see easily how to discriminate in terms of kinetics. Even for most ratiometric dyes, AM-esters are simply useless in plants and fungi cells.

Still, I would vote for eosin.