CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2004

From:
Michael Cammer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 12:12:23 -0500

We have an electronic locking system.  One card per person.  And to get
the card they have to fill in a form they are supposed to find on their
own from this web page:
http://www.aecom.yu.edu/aif/first-contact.htm

We keep the form on file.  After locking a few people out for violating
the terms of the privilege, word gets around that we are tough.  Then
things go smoothly for a few months & people get lax and lend out their
cards.  So we cut them off for a while and word gets around.

This system has helped us protect the instruments and identify problem
users and has been very effective at keeping the other users in line.

In fact, your user sign on policy of the computers would work if you held
people accountable.  "Look, you signed the form that says you won't do
this," and you shove the form in their face.  "But you did it.  So now you
cannot use the facility for a week.  Next time we'll consider a permanent
cutoff."

-Michael

WORK:  http://www.aecom.yu.edu/aif/
PERSONAL:  http://www.art-studio.us/