CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2013

Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:39:22 +0000

For once I pretty much totally agree with Jim!  It is just impossible to compare something as peaky as the Hg spectrum with a continuum source.  If one of the Hg peaks matches the excitation you need - Bingo!  Hg is fantastic in the near UV at 360, and even better in the violet at ~405 and ~470.  It is pathetic in the blue (480-500) but brilliant at 550.  Obviously it isn't as specific as a laser source, but you still have to think hard about where your peaks are.  LED sources are much broader, and therefore more versatile.

As for critical illumination - can you actually do it with a commercial epi illuminator?

                                                                  Guy

Guy Cox, Honorary Associate Professor
School of Medical Sciences

Australian Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis,
Madsen, F09, University of Sydney, NSW 2006