CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2006

From:
Badri Roysam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2006 13:37:49 -0400

The word multiplexing probably arose in electrical/computer engineering, and probably has
roots in the words "multiple" and "plexus". In these fields, the term multiplexing
is used for any mechanism by which a sinfgle device is shared by multiple "channels" of
communication. BTW, the word "channel" is also used in fluorescence microscopy - there may
be a similar connection there.

Cheers,

Badri Roysam
Professor, Department of Electrical, Computer and Systems Engineering
Associate Director, NSF Center for Subsurface Sensing & Imaging Systems (CenSSIS ERC)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
110 8th Street, Troy, New York 12180-3590.
Office(JEC 7010): 518-276-8067, Lab(JEC 6308): 518-276-8207, Fax: 518-276-8715
Email: [log in to unmask], Web: http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/~roysam