CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2014

From:
Arvydas Matiukas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2014 08:43:11 -0500

I am testing $339 4k monitor right now. I bought it  at tigerdirect   during $299 sale but currently  only walmart seems to sell for $339
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Seiki-Digital-SE39UY04-39-4K-Ultra-HD-2160p-120Hz-LED-HDTV/33490005
However. one should keep in mind that graphics card may need to be upgraded that adds at least $70.

Regarding performance. I corroborate George that 4k monitor is extremely impressive, equivalent of having FOUR full HD monitors. However, most of
the current software including the OS windows 7 are not 4k resolution ready yet,
However, just few limitations/problems I encountered:
1. intermittent few second delays in computer response
2. intermittent freezes and crashes  of software especially web browser
3. no stable graphics card drivers for 4k resolution

More reliable and efficient current alternative to 4k monitor would be lower resolution one (e.g. HP ZR30W, 2560x1600  as suggested by George) combined
with virtual  desktop of 4k or even higher resolution.
BTW, HP has  DreamColor Z27x which allows (in hardware) to scroll around 4k image. Did anybody test how it works?

Arvydas
+++++++++++++++=

Arvydas Matiukas, Ph.D.
Director of Confocal&Two-Photon Imaging Core Facility
SUNY Upstate Medical University

>>> George McNamara  11/03/14 9:28 PM >>>

Hi Jean-Pierre,

HP ZR30W, 2560x1600 pixels, still available at amazon.com,
http://www.amazon.com/HP-ZR30w-30-inch-S-IPS-Monitor/dp/B003RBNMJA
$999 today.
so should also be on cdw.com or wherever else your purchasing / I.T.
buys computer stuff.

4K HD (4096x2160 pixels) ... prices keep coming down. If you need the
pixels, and.or need to impress VIPs, customers (oops: same thing), etc,
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PQ321Q-31-5-Inch-4K-Monitor/dp/B00DJ4BIKA
$1500 today

http://www.amazon.com/LG-31MU97-B-Digital-4096x2160-UltraWide/dp/B00OZ3VPLG
$1400