CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2009

Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:19:31 +0900
Dear Renato, and the list.

Yes, I enjoyed gorgeous autumn weather over the weekend!

While I am not in a position to officially represent Yokogawa, as Renato has mentioned already, official comment from Yokogawa, if requested, will be to ask to use the CSU spinning disk confocal system within 400nm-700nm wavelength range for best performance with a good reason.

As Lisa kindly advised, it is quite OK to use the CSUX1 system at 405 nm.
So, if your are talking about 405nm, it is within our specification range.

However, if you are thinking about using  351/363 nm, as is well understood, imaging at UV range below 400nm could be very difficult, which is not unique to the imaging with the CSU system but universal to all optical and/or imaging devices.
We have well confirmed the performance of the CSU confocal system including all components such as the microscope, laser and fibers, all filters, detector, etc.at 400-700 nm range.
However, we have no conclusive data on the use below 400nm range, in reality.

Our engineers don't think there could be any simple and easy way to optimize the CSU head for imaging at UV range, since every piece of optical parts both inside and outside of the CSU head requires optimization for UV.
It may be possible to capture images below 400nm, but, we cannot guarantee good-enough light efficiency, confocality or chromatic aberration correction, and thus cannot endorse it.

I am sorry for not being able to offer any quick solution but please kindly understand there is no magic in good UV imaging.

Mizuho Shimizu

Yokogawa Electric Corporation