CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2009

From:
"Rietdorf, Jens" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:21:35 +0200
Dear Renato,

even though 405 is clearly suboptimal for DAPI excitation I have never had any problems with any of the lenses in our facility. There is an alternative to DAPI though that even improves the overall efficiency by at least 10fold in our hands, I repost a comment from Jason A. Kilgore on Hoechst 34580 below. Overstaining with Dapi typically generates background caused by binding to other nucleic acid species, extensive illumination with 405 and below can increase autofluorescence, both of which will reduce S/N remarckably.

Concerning your question about the 150xTIRF, that is an objective tuned for single molecule work, I see no reason to use it for conventional or confocal, except maybe for the widefield in combination with a camera with very large pixels, in which case still I would rather try an optovar or other additional magnifying lens before I spend this amount of money.

Best wishes, jens

------

Hoechst 34580 would be a better choice than DAPI (or the other Hoechst
dyes), as it excites at 392nm (DAPI excites around 350) and is readily
excited at 405nm.

Hoechst 34580 is available from Molecular Probes (#H21486).

Cheers,

Jason

*Commercial association acknowledged*

Jason A. Kilgore