CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2015

From:
Stanislav Vitha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2015 09:59:30 -0500

On Wed, 3 Jun 2015 11:47:54 +0000, Cammer, Michael
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

...  And anyone want to chime in about the current state of what appears
to be a very sad story of Olympus, once a top shelf Japanese company with
wonderful employees, open policies regarding technical specs, positive
response to customers, great equipment, that we have relied on for years,
but...
Regards,
Michael

Regarding Olympus, the open policies regarding technical specs must be a
distant past. Few years ago I had to spend $1.99 in Harbor Freight Tools
for a digital multimeter to find out what is the pin out on our IX81 shutter
connector. Olympus would not tell me, it was apparently an engineering
secret.
On the other hand, our local reps and the field service has always been
great in our area.

I have seen the VTeye demo maybe 8 or 9 years ago, so for sure things
like more sensitive detectors, faster computers and other improvements
will have an effect. Overall I was impressed by the speed  but not the
sensitivity of detection. At that time I thought the instrument was more
suited for people studying flow and particle motion rather than a live
biological system.

Regarding the Thorlabs confocal system that George McNamara mentioned
in the previous post, I would be interested to hear if anybody on this list
had a  chance to use it. I like the circular pinholes, but am curious how
much signal is lost by having the detectors coupled via the optical fiber.
Stan Vitha
Microscopy and Imaging Center
Texas A&M University
College STation, TX