CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2006

From:
"COETZEE, S.H. (MR.)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:19:09 +0200

The best computer for image processing is "the one that works for you!"  Each person has his/her own preference and experience and you can get working solutions from more than one platform and operating system.  My preference is to stick with a PC (full server configuration) since it is easy upgradeable and that is what I know the best.

I agree with Greg.  If one is able to "custom build" a system it is cheaper than the "on the shelf" systems out there.  Your time and experience might determine if you need help or go the DIY route.  It took me a week of struggling to get "my costume build" system going.  (IT Degree: -QBI - Qualified by experience or the gaining of experience due to a lack of it!)  It was fun but a week of productivity wasted.  I also included a raid card to safeguard the system and information.  Purchased the best 64 bit processors I could afford.  Linked two top end image processing cards.  Ram prices changed a lot here the last three months and the cost of large server ram modules are not cheap.  The new duel core processors from Intel are a nice improvement and I hope to upgrade our existing duel processor server soon.  We live in PC world.  Fortunately Image J is available for PC systems.  An yes you still can build a good PC system for approximately 8-9 K U$.  I can send a detailed system spec's (my preferred system if I can start from scratch! ;)   I do not want to clog the dialog with System specs, these preferences are always debatable, depending what operating system your personal preference is.

Stephan H Coetzee

Electron Microscope Unit

University of Botswana

+267 7144 2218