CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2013

From:
John Oreopoulos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2013 15:01:16 -0400

Hello again,

A few years ago I sent a question to the confocal listserver about the differences in measuring confocal axial resolution with sub-diffraction-sized beads or mirrors and fluorescent sheets (see messages attached below). At the time, one of the most informative responses came from Brad Amos (response message also below). Since then, I've been doing these types of measurements on various confocal instruments and can confirm with certainty that the two test specimens (fluorescent beads vs. fluorescent sheets) yield different results when measuring the FWHM of the axial profile. So my question now is: Which specimen should we be using to report instrument performance in terms of axial resolution? I've been to quite a few microscopy courses and the conventional wisdom seems to be that fluorescent beads are best, but Brad's book chapter that he linked to made an argument that fluorescent sheets are better and that it's incorrect to use beads to report axial resolution. In case anyone is interested, in my hands, fluorescent sheets consistently yield an axial resolution that is a few hundred nm bigger than what the bead measurement says for a given instrument with a particular set of optics. I'm hoping Brad might chime in again here or anyone else who has something to say about this.

John Oreopoulos
Staff Scientist
Spectral Applied Research
Richmond Hill, Ontario