CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2007

From:
Vitaly Boyko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 15:37:23 -0400

Hi Steve,

I think you have the only one option  - 2x2 binning with Orca-AG (ER, Orca II).
I haven't compared -AG and -ER side-by-side but AG might be slightly better.
OrcaII will be cleraly better especially at 500 msec exposures or longer.

mRFP1 is a good choice in relation to SNR, having mCherry would cause less
aggregation. CFP, GFP channels are very noisy. YFP is OK.

EM-CCDs with the gigantic pixels and 40x lens will cause huge loss of signal.
Fom my experience, as 60x NA 1.4 is the brightest lens, and Orca ER (AG or II)
at 2x2 binning is the best compromise. Nikon 100x NA 1.45 TIRF lens would give
a signal of only slightly lower intensity than 60x NA 1.4 likely due to lower
undersampling.

TIRF may not work as you would excite molecules which are up to 200 nm away
from the glass. Moreover TIRF people often use a thicker cover glass to reduce
optical artefacts.

Good luck,

Vitaly
NCI-Frederick