CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2007

From:
Stephen Cody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:34:01 +1000

>You want to use coverslips that are 0.17 mm thick - number 1.5
>coverslips are the closest in thickness.

The trouble with No. 1.5 is that there is great variation in thickness.
The industry standard for No. 1.50 is:
#1.5 = 0.160  -  0.190

Please review the achieves under Subject: "Coverslip - Good News'

This is quite a large range, and 0.190 mm thick coverslips will cause detrimental spherical aberration.

Both Menzel and Assistent (Hecht Glaswarenfabrik [Thanks Beat]) sell a better standard thickness for confocal microscopy it is called:
"170 +/- 0.01mm"

Many of the distributors may not know about this sorting of coverslip, but it does exist. You may need to convince them to ask their suppliers about it.

If you still have trouble you can order them from Lomb in Australia, they will deliver.

I order "0.170 +/- 0.01mm" coverslips for confocal through
Lomb Scientific www.lomb.com.au . This is an Australian distributor
of Menzel Glass. Lomb will also cut coverslips to special custom sizes
(larger bulk orders are more economical).

You can contact Peter directly on [log in to unmask]  for product
information, order codes etc..

Or as Peter suggests he is not always available [log in to unmask]  may
work better sometimes.

I have no commercial affiliation with any of the companies listed. I can prove it, have a look at the car I drive! :)

Cheers
Stephen H. Cody
Microscopy Manager
Central Resource for Advanced Microscopy
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research
PO Box 2008 Royal Melbourne Hospital
Parkville, Victoria,      3050
Australia
Tel: 61 3 9341 3155    Fax: 61 3 9341 3104
email: [log in to unmask]
www.ludwig.edu.au/labs/confocal.html
www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal

Tip: Learn how to receive reminders about you microscope booking:
http://www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal/Local/Booking_Hint.htm Type your signature here