CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2011

From:
Dan Focht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2011 15:46:02 -0400

Xuejun

Thank you for pointing out the overheating issue with Pe-Con.
I did not know theirs would do that!

There is a safety circuit in the Bioptechs objective heater that continuously looks for the temperature to drop out of a 0.9 degree error window.
When and if this happens it is due to an improperly attached objective.
When the temperature sensor goes cool beyond the error window, after having warmed the objective, all power to the heater is shut off and an annoying alarm goes off on the controller.
This is done to safeguard the objective.
The only time the heater-band overheats is if someone turns the controller on with the heater plugged in to the controller but NOT attached to an objective!
The system needs something to heat to complete the control loop.
We cannot help it if somebody does not attach it properly.
Our newest Objective Heater now has a secondary retaining strap to provide a secure attachment to the objective.
The power cord is detachable so you can have several heaters on the nosepiece, rotate the nosepiece and just plug in the one you want to use when you want to use it.
Like I said other companies have copied the idea of warming an objective but not the technology.

If you have a damaged Objective Heater, call for a RMA number to send it in for repair.

Dan