CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:13:58 -0600
We had three microscopes attached to a single Tsunami ultrafast laser.
 We used polarizing beamsplitter cubes to route the power between the
three microscopes so that alignment was not an issue.  Rotating
waveplates sent the power from the laser to one or the other
microscope without having to change the alignment of any beam path.
One microscope was an upright (Nikon C1), the other was a modified
Nikon inverted (TE2000 I think) and the last was built from scratch.
The problem we encountered is that every user wanted to use a
different wavelength!  One researcher used 840nm all the time, while
another used 925nm.  As a result, they could not run their experiments
simultaneously.  In our new lab setup, we have one dedicated laser for
each scope to eliminate this problem.  If you must share a laser, use
the cube method for power-routing, and try to get your researchers to
use dyes that can be stimulated by the same wavelength!

Craig Brideau
Hotchkiss Brain Institute
University of Calgary