CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2012

From:
Casey Laris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2012 13:43:52 -0700

Hi Doug,

An HCS machine can definitely be used for less demanding microscopy tasks but do be mindful about what you are trying to accomplish. The big advantage of HCS is the throughput of getting numbers from images of your samples. That may sound obvious but the compromises to accomplish this goal are generally significant.

The lower N.A./dry objectives are often favored because of autofocus issues. The reflective positioning used by most vendors keeps you close to a surface of the plate or slide but generally doesn't account for sample variation. In thicker - but not too thick - samples, this is less of an issue. For monolayers you'll have a significant percentage of out of focus images. Without fast, image sample based autofocus, confocal imaging on a 0.6 N.A  dry objective is a bit of an optical trick to enable crisper images for slightly out of position optics.

HCS is a little strange in that the acquired images could be thought of as just intermediate data waiting to be processed into final measurements. On something like a plate reader, you might not normally care what that looks like and focus more on accuracy and precision of the final well to well numbers. Because those intermediate data sets are images, it's very natural to dive in and see what's there.

The other big thing I'd look at is the software. Many of the systems can technically acquire image data from slides, plates etc but they really aren't designed to do so as you might expect. This varies greatly by manufacturer, but because of this focus on high-speed automated image acquisition/throughput, they might not have very usable joysticks and basic flexible controls you'd think would be easy for quick snap by snap users.

There's nothing wrong with any of this and you can get very nice images from these systems. It's more about being aware of the tradeoffs and the intended use.

Best,

Casey Laris  |  DiPath Inc.  |  Twitter  |  Mobile: 858-829-9501