CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2001

From:
Tom Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 16:42:59 -0500
I agree with Barbara's comments on immersion oils but disagree about
not using Kimwipes.  I too had heard the rumors that they were
dangerous for objectives but after reading Shinya Inoue's Video
Microscopy book (first edition, p. 140) in which he recommends using
Kimwipes (tho he warns against using Kleenex since it contains hard
substances),  I switched and have never seen the hint of a problem.
they are cheaper than lens paper and i think it is better to go
through lots of kimwipes rather than carefully using more expensive
paper.  I don't have any stock in Kimberly Clark (the manufacturer of
Kimwipes).

We use Kimwipes for the 4 scopes in our core facility, the 3 in my
lab and the 36 in my undergraduate Histology course.  In fact, my
favorite Bonus question on the practical exam in the Histo course is
to have a slide with a piece of toluidine blue soaked kimwipe on it.
For some reason, none of the students can "name this common tissue"
even though I leave a box of Kimwipes right next to the microscope.
Tom

--
Thomas E. Phillips, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biological Sciences

3 Tucker Hall
Division of Biological Sciences
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211-7400