CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2008

From:
Raffi Manoukian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 17:28:28 -0400

Dear listers,
I’ve been following the discussions regarding the quality of imaging on
CompuCyte’s laser scanning cytometry platform and I’d just like to share my
thoughts with you. Until recently, I was working in the core imaging and flow
facility at Amgen Inc. in Southern California. We had both confocal systems
and several LSC instruments (iCyte, iCys). I’ve been working with the LSC for
over 8 years now and I believe the image quality ultimately comes down to
the sample prep. If the sample prep is clean, and the staining is good, there is
no doubt that you will obtain an image of very high quality (on both
platforms). Using a 40x objective, with the iCys’s variable stage resolution set
at 0.5uM (it has a motorized microstep stage), you can obtain incredibly
sharp, clear images of your samples, whether it be cells or tissue (some people
have even thought that some of my LSC images were from a confocal
system!). Clearly, the confocal will give you extra-sharp and clean images
because you’re looking at a very thin slice through your sample; with
CompuCyte’s iGeneration instruments, you’re sampling a thicker focal slice of
your sample, because that is what the instrument is designed to do: to collect
signal through a wide depth of field in order to accurately quantitate the
signal. That is why you can do stoichiometric measurements on adherent cells
like cell cycle analysis on the iCys or iCyte. The great thing about the
technology is that you can then correlate your cytometric data to its
corresponding image, instantaneously, without third party software. So in a
nutshell…. Great high resolution images AND quantitative data in the same
scan. I am now actually an applications scientist with CompuCyte and I’d be
happy to answer any further questions, but you don’t have to take my word
for it, visit www.compucyte.com and www.imagingcytometrycenter.com
Regards,

Raffi Manoukian

Raffi Manoukian, M.Sc.