CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2012

From:
Stanislav Vitha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2012 10:07:43 -0500

I do not have A1, but this may work:
I would switch to the lowest spectral resolution (10 nm per channel), open the
pinhole, and on the beamsplitter select a dichroic mirror that transmits in the
orange/red (e.g., the standard 405/488 or 457/514,  or even better if the 8-
position turret has an empty slot without any filter, use that).

of course turn the lasers off.
the 20x objective may be a better choice than the 10x (higher NA, collects
more photons).
Do a slow scan, if necessary use averaging. if you do raster scan (instead of
just a single spot scanning), use pixel spacing comparable to resolution, or
bigger (i.e., do not try to do Nyquist sampling).

Stan Vitha
Microscopy and Imaging Center
Texas A&M University

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 07:21:09 +0000, Guy Cox <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>*****
>To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
>http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
>*****
>
>I'm not terribly familiar with the A1 but in general I'd suggest the following
approach.  Acquire a confocal (reflection or fluorescence) of the device and
move the sample to position one of the regions of interest at the centre of the
frame.  Park the beam at this spot and turn off the laser, open the pinhole,
turn on the current to the device and acquire a spectrum for as long as it
takes.   (Could be hours).   Repeat for the other light-emitting areas.   In
other words, separate the collection of the image and the spectrum.

>Having said that, you can get a pocket spectrometer from Ocean Optics,
with a microscope adapter, for a very low price.   This will do the job much
more simply and effectively.

>And don't forget that you'll need metallurgical objectives if you want to get a
decent image.

        Guy