CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2012

From:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2012 13:53:04 -0800

As Ryan has alluded, the most likely answer is that Alexa 568 has some residual excitation at 405 nm (without looking at the spectra I'd guess that this would be on the order of 5%) - because A568 is a much brighter dye than A405 even 5% excitation might give you comparable signal strengths. The best solution would be to use individual band pass filters for *detection* (due to A568 having a finite crossection at 405, changing excitation filters is unlikely to get you very far). Linear unmixing might work if that's not possible, although you generally want to get the crosstalk below ~ 10% before this becomes a reliable option.

cheers,
David