CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2005

From:
Rosemary White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 08:27:52 +1000

Hi Winnok,

I guess I'd try hexidium iodide first - it's (relatively) cheap, and you can
always continue to use it as a nuclear counterstain like PI if it doesn't
get into your cells or is too toxic even at low concentration.  We use HI at
10 micrograms/ml or less, just in water or buffer.

I don't know about animal cells, but in our hands, unless you have the
concentration exactly right and time your observation quite carefully, the
FM dyes will get into a number of membranes, they're not very specific.  And
concentration and time are different for different tissues.  The Syto dyes
are even worse that way.  That's the beauty of PI and HI, they seem
reasonably specific for DNA (and plant cell walls, of course).

Re. efficiency of 488 nm excitation, it depends how good your lasers are.
The 543 HeNe laser on our Leica SP2 is a wimp, and the 488 line of the Ar
laser does a perfectly fine job for PI excitation.

cheers,
Rosemary