CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2012

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2012 21:48:54 -0400

Confocal and multiphoton excitation fluorescence deconvolution will
greatly benefit from customers requiring vendors to include fast,
quantitative (precise, accurate) deconvolution on all confocal/MPEF
systems bought/sold. GPU enabled deconvolution. If three academics can
make GPU SIM (pretty much) realtime (and a heck of a lot faster
processing than OMX), the hardware vendors ought to be able to do it (or
license it):

    Lefman J, Scott K, Stranick S. Live, video-rate super-resolution
    microscopy using structured illumination and rapid GPU-based
    parallel processing. Microsc Microanal. 2011 Apr;17(2):191-6. Epub
    2011 Mar 9. PMID: 21385522

If the vendors don't get it done, I hope everyone goes for do it
yourself nanoscopes, such as:

    *York* AG, Parekh SH, Dalle Nogare D, Fischer RS, Temprine K, Mione
    M, Chitnis AB, Combs CA, *Shroff* H. Resolution doubling in live,
    multicellular organisms via multifocal structured illumination
    microscopy. Nat Methods. 2012 May 13;9(7):749-54. doi:
    10.1038/nmeth.2025. PMID: 22581372
    http://code.google.com/p/msim/

Good luck with the vendors.

***

As for deconvolution "breaking" the optical limit: of course not. The
deconvolution is done on your computer, the optical part ended when the
photons slammed into the detector(s). I go with Paul Goodwin's (Applied
Precision) rule of thumb (or maybe pinky finger?): deconvolution can
improve the IMAGE resolution by ~20%.

There are other ways to get improvement in resolution - I am very
pleased with the increase in IMAGE resolution of PiMP:*

*

    *Munck S*, Miskiewicz K, Sannerud R, Menchon SA, Jose L, Heintzmann
    R, Verstreken P, Annaert W. Sub-diffraction imaging on standard
    microscopes through photobleaching microscopy with non-linear
    processing J Cell Sci. 2012 May 1;125(Pt 9):2257-66. PMID: 22357945.

On the Leica SP5 inverted and Zeiss LSM710 confocal microscopes i manage
here at the U, I use 30 nm pixel size (vs 60 nm for "standard" high
resolution confocal images), 25 to 50 images (when I'm acquiring for a
user, my core makes more money if image acquisition time takes longer,
single channel (makes dealing with Fiji ImageJ easier - would be nice if
someone took the time to develop ImageJ into a real program with user,
not anti-user, interface), no averaging, unidirectional scanning. My SP5
has both standard and resonant scanners - both work (resonant is
faster). Goal is modest photobleaching (ideally ~5% according to the
paper). Since 30 nm pixel size is smaller than the PiMP plugin default,
I use filter size = 1.65. My thanks to Sebastian Munck and Glen
Macdonald for the recommendation and for putting in 16-bit output mode,
which I routinely use. Does PiMP work? Yes. Don't take my word for it:
go look at Figure 2 of the paper and/or get the plugin from the
corresponding author.

George