CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2004

From:
Tony Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:08:11 -0500

Hi,

I have a couple of examples where cellular function was (as far as we
could tell) unaffected by photobleaching of a fluorophore.

We were interested in the lumenal continuity of mitochondria. The
specific question was "is the perinuclear aggregation of mitochondria
lumenally continuous?". Cells expressing mitochondrially targetted DsRed
  were photobleached in the perinuclear region. A small (5-10 um) are
was bleached and we waited for fluorescence recovery. There was very
little after 20 minutes, and only a little after 60 min, i.e. the
mitohchondria are not lumenally continuous. We then added the
potentiometric dye TMRE to see if the mitochondria in the photobleached
region were depolorised. The mitochondria took up the TMRE. Here's the
figure from the article (should be freely available):
http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/content/full/206/12/1993/FIG2

We also tried to use photodamage to knock out GFP-tagged IP3-receptors.
GFP-IP3R cells were loaded with Fura2 and put on a confocal scope that
had a video imaging system bolted on another port. The cell was treated
with histamine to determine the basal calcium response.
Then, one half of a cell expressing GFP-IP3R was then phhotobleached
with the confocal in an attmept to knock out the IP3R (CALI?). The cell
was then immediately treated with a low dose of histamine and the
calcium signal was monitored with Fura2. Unfortunalty the cells response
to histamine was unaffected by the photobleaching of the IP3R!

While we didn't exhaustively investigate the health of the cells, in
these two cases the cells seemed to tolerate the photobleaching
protocol. However, these were HeLa cells and I think you could probably
stamp on them and they wouldn't mind...

Tony

--
Tony Collins, Ph.D.