CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1998

From:
Tom Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:50:42 -0500
I have just received funds to upgrade several pieces of instrumentation in
our Core facility.  I am trying to decide what to do with our older
equipment.  University policy allows me to "advertise" them and solict
sealed bids and then determine if I accept the bid.  I would only bother
doing this if I thought it was worth the effort.  My alternative is to
retain these items for "back up".  I thought I would post a list of what I
am replacing.  If any one has an interest in "bidding" on them, they could
e-mail me directly and give me a ball park idea of what any of the items
might be worth to them.  This would not be the official bidding process and
neither of us would be obligated.  But if you have a real interest in some
of these items, your interest will motivate me to go through the process.
I would give your name to our Purchasing Office and they could send you the
official bid notice.  You could decide at that time if you want to
officially participate.  Please respond directly to me.

Item #1  1.  Voxel View E (version 2.1.2) and Voxel Math (version 2.1)
software for volume visualization and measurement.  Software suitable for
manipulation of volumetric image stacks.   Runs on a SGI (Unix) system
(available below).  This is nice software but it runs on a Unix machine
which many of my users don't want to deal with.  We are replacing it with
the PC based software MetaMorph which is sufficient for our  work.  I would
expect this software to be worth >$1000

2.  Silicon Graphics workstation..  Iris Indigo Model, 33 MHz, 48MB RAM,
432MB formatted SCSI system disk, 150 MB 1/4" external SCSI tape drive.
This was purchased 5 years ago but obviously is underpowered by today's
standards.  I am not sure what is worth but am willing to consider
suggestions.

3.  Codonics NP-600 Dye Sublimation color printer.  Built in support for
ethernet using standard TCP/IP.  Automatic file recognition of monochrome
and color image file formats (TIFF, SGI/RGB, X-Windows, PPM, TARGA, PCX,
PEG, GIF, and Sun Raster).  Produces photographic quality images displaying
16.7 million simultaneous colors with selected gamma.  Allows multiple
images to be processed simultaneously by printing one while processing
another.  Ability to send multiple images to the printer without removing
        each print as they are printed.  3.5 inch floppy that can be
printed to or from as well as be used to upgrade the operating system.We
have used this printer to make about a 100 prints a month for the last 4
years.  It works but is admitedly cranky sometimes.  The quality of the
print is still quite good but not as nice as the Fuji Pictrogaphy I am
replacing it with.  I certainly wouldn't sell it for less than $1000 and
probably want at least $2000.  Its worth at least that much as a backup.

4.  Polaroid CI-5000 Digital Palette for use with an IBM PC computer with a
windows driver and Raster Plus. Film recorder for generating 35mm film
output.  This is a good solid instrument in excellent shape.  I am
replacing it with a much higher resolution model.  Polaroid currently has a
$2000 rebate if you trade an old film recorder in for their new model.  I
am currently trying to find out if that is true for people who are buying
the new model at an "academic" price.  If not, this instrument will also be
available.

I am sure the official bid process will have legal mumbo jumbo about
everything being "as is".  I am just an academic type trying to stretch my
resources but am not out to screw anybody.  I will try to provide serious
inquiries any info and realistic assesments of the quality of these items.
At the moment, I just want to see if there is any interest at all.  I need
to have some idea of what people would pay before I go to the trouble of
all the paperwork.  Please respond directly to me and not the listserv.

Thomas E. Phillips, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biological Sciences
Director, Molecular Cytology Core Facility
3 Tucker Hall
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
(573)-882-4712 (voice)