CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2006

From:
Dan Focht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:00:35 -0500

Olaf

It is interesting that you should ask this question today.
I am just setting up do do a number of quantitative thermal drift
experiments on that that very scenario.
I have just acquired today a very sensitive capacitance gauge to
measure Z axis displacement of thermal stages.
I will be recording thermal drift from a number of heated stage
manufacturers including the new Bioptechs Stable Z.
I will be making the results available on our web site ASAP.

Although I cannot give you quantitative info at this time until I
take the readings,
I can tell you that the termal drift typically comes from several
sources.
1. The heated plate itself
2. The plastic of the dish or cell container
3. The expansion of the stage and the scope frame as it absorbs the
excess heat from the heated plate
All of these contributing factors have been eliminated by our soon to
be released specimen warming product.

If you are interested in a warming insert for your stage, compatible
with standard plastic ware, that does not contribute to "Z" axis
drift, contact me off list or look for our product release the first
of the year.

How soon do you need the information to make your case for improved AC?

Dan