CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2000

From:
Steve Barlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:25:17 -0800
A pity you chose to offer your microscopy workshop the same week as the
national Microscopy Society of America annual meeting.....

Steve Barlow

>The Integrated Microscopy Facility, operated by the Department of
>Molecular,  Cellular, and Developmental Biology (MCDB) and the
>Neuroscience Research  Institute (NRI), is offering a workshop on modern
>techniques in microscopy and  electronic imaging. This 4-day workshop will
>be offered from August 14 through  August 17, 2000 and will consist of
>lectures and laboratory exercises that will  run from 9 am to
>approximately 5 PM each day. The seminars and laboratories will  cover
>basic optical theory and how it pertains to increasing contrast (signal to
>noise ratio) in biological samples. Fundamental techniques such as
>fluorescence,  phase contrast, Nomarski differential interference
>contrast, and darkfield  imaging will be taught and attendees will use
>microscopes equipped to perform  these optical enhancement techniques. In
>addition, the theory and practice of  electronic image acquisition (analog
>and digital) will be discussed and  attendees will work with low-light
>cameras, digital image processing computers,  and morphometric programs.
>There are five research grade microscopes, five  electronic imaging
>cameras, two computer workstations, and one confocal  microscope. With a
>maximum enrollment of 10 students, there will be many  opportunities to
>work with all of the microscopes and cameras. For those so  interested,
>intensive hands-on instruction and guidance on the confocal  microscope
>will be provided. Working together with the instructors, the  participants
>will gain theoretical and practical experience on applying modern  optical
>and computational techniques for biological research. For more
>information check our web site http://lifesci.ucsb.edu/MCDB/mcdb_home.html
>and  you will see the link that will describe our course and provide
>information on  enrollment.
>     Brian Matsumoto, Ph.D.Director of Integrated Microscopy
>FacilityNeuroscience Research InstituteMolecular, Cellular, and
>Developmental BiologyUniversity of CaliforniaSanta Barbara, CA   93106
>Phone 805-893-8702FAX      805-893-4724

Dr. Steven Barlow, Associate Director
EM Facility/Biology Department
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego CA 92182-4614
phone: (619)594-4523
fax: (619) 594-5676
email: [log in to unmask]
website:  http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/emfacility/

Chairman, Educational Outreach subcommittee
  promoting access to microscopes
Microscopy Society of America http://www.msa.microscopy.com/