CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2021

From:
"Watkins, Simon C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2021 21:13:51 +0000

Folks, As the light at the end of the tunnel of this pandemic gets quite clear and oh so welcome and as Its November its time to announce that enrollment for Quantitative Fluorescence Microscopy 2022 at the MDI Biological Laboratory in Maine is now open....

This is an intensive lab/lecture course, focusing on fluorescence microscopy in all its forms, including widefield, Confocal, Multiphoton, Decon, Super resolution TIRF, FRET, 2D and 3D image processing (including time-based analysis), etc., with an emphasis on live cell methods.

We also encourage students to provide their own specimens such that the hands-on components of the course are as enriching as possible.  Enrollment is quite competitive, so if you think that you or your colleagues would benefit from the course please enroll as soon as possible.

We will be continuing the successful changes that were implemented over the last few years, namely:

  1.  Alumni are eligible to return,  we made major changes to the curriculum the year before the pandemic.  Also all aspects of imaging have continued to advance enormously, so we feel it is time to allow past students to take the course again.  So... alumni...you are welcome to return to the course.  Please point out that you are an alumnus in the application.
  2.  The second big change which has been driven by a common student request is that we will continue to have rolling admissions.  Our first student group will be accepted at the end of January, then March, and the final group in April. There are no particular quotas for each block; rather students should have good projects that suit the flavor and goals of the course.
  3.  The course will run the same week as always (May 20-27th this year), ending the Friday before Memorial Day.  After the course ends, you could spend the weekend in nearby Acadia National Park, or of course get home for any celebrations you have planned.
  4.  An expanded concentration on light sheet methods and super-resolution including STED, PALM, and STORM, (we expect to have instruments for each technology available at the course).
  5.  A rigorous and deep component specifically for students who want to really get expertise in Image J/Fiji
You can find out about the course or register here:  https://mdibl.org/course/quantitative-fluorescence-microscopy-2022/
Feel free to send me an email if you have any specific questions about the course

Simon C. Watkins Ph.D, FRCPath
Distinguished Professor and Vice Chair Cell Biology
Professor Immunology
Director Center for Biologic Imaging
University of Pittsburgh
Bsts 225 3550 terrace st