CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2009

From:
Vitaly Boyko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:42:18 -0500
Hi Robert,

Yes, most of coverglass is quite dirty (most of standard #1.5 coverslips
from many suppliers, even the German one from the Hecht_Assistent;  also
very dirty BK-7 coverglass, Nuncbrand LabTek I or II, Grace Biolabs 16-well
chambered coverglass). The MatTek glass bottom dishes are cleaner but in
many instances the coverglass is "angled", e.g. mounted not strictly
horizontal giving you out-of-focus corners when you image anything that
mounted on the surface.

I attached one rare paper from China that is surprisingly very remarkable,
in technical terms.  ... as NIH would never fund such a project (but USDOE
might have contributed to  the study).

It is a shame that postdocs (and/or skilled technicians) have to kill time
cleaning coverglass... Maybe NIH can provide funds for a "Coverglass
Cleaning Biotech Startup Company"

Good luck,

Vitaly

NCI-Frederick
301-846-6575

PS As my original posting was rejected 'cos I attached pdf file, I will send
it to upon request