CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2012

From:
James Pawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2012 09:12:09 -0700

Perhaps Alan is really asking "What happens to the light from all the
molecules excited by the original Airy disk but residing in the
"donut" area of the STED beam?"

These emissions are "swept away" (entrained?) by the STED beam. They
become sort of a mini-laser and the emitted photons leave the area
totally coherent with the STED beam (i.e., in phase, at the same
wavelength as, and going in the same directions as the STED beam).

It is sometimes forgotten that the STED beam is at a wavelength that
is considerably longer than the peak of the emission spectrum. So,
even if you detect your signal fluorescence in the the transition
mode, it is relatively easy to use filters to separate the
fluorescence swept up by the STED beam (not to mention the STED beam
itself) from the fluorescence emitted by molecules near the center of
the donut hole because these latter photons are mostly at wavelenghts
near the emission peak.

Cheers,

Jim Pawley

--
James and Christine Pawley, PO Box 2348, 5446 Burley Place (PO Box
2348), Sechelt, BC, Canada, V0N3A0, 604-885-0840 NEW! Cell (when I