CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2008

Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2008 17:46:09 +0200
I would like to provide what Leica Microsystems recommends to its confocal
users regarding networking and third party software:

Computers used by multiple users or with connections to the internet are
often targeted by viruses and other harmful exploits from intruders.  The
installation and regular update of virus scanners, firewalls and operating
system upgrades and hotfixes is a good practice to avoid system damages and
loss or corruption of data.

The confocal software, LAS AF, installed from Leica Microsystems does not
require any particular protection software.  Although we do not recommend
installation of third party software, the confocal software will run with
most of the commonly available antivirus and third party software products.

The variety of third party software is large and updates and hotfixes for
the third party software are provided regularly.  A guarantee that each
available update, virus scanner or firewall will be compatible with
software from Leica Microsystems cannot be given and we therefore recommend
the following:

      The confocal workstation is designed and built to drive the confocal
      hardware attached.  It is not designed to be a personal PC.

      We recommend that you do not connect to the Internet (WWW) with the
      confocal system workstation.  However, the system can be networked to
      allow data transfer from the workstation to peripheral workstations.
      Networks vary with regard to structure and configuration.  If you
      need further information on networking your confocal system
      workstation please contact your network administrator.

      We do not recommend installation of third party software on the
      confocal workstation.  We can not test the compatibility of all third
      party software and updates of hotfixes with the software driving the
      confocal system.

      From Leica Microsystems CMS GmbH there will be the recommendation to
      install all available updates and hotfixes from Microsoft. Upgrades
      like “Service Packs” should only be installed after confirmation from
      Leica Microsystems.  Virus scanners and firewalls must be tried out;
      we have no special recommendation for preference.

      The confocal system is guaranteed to perform to specifications only
      in the original state it was delivered and installed.  If third party
      software (image analysis, antivirus, etc) is required we can not
      guarantee that the system will perform to specifications.  In case of
      unacceptable results to the confocal system after installation of a
      third party software we recommend removal of the software or
      update/hotfix separately to restore functionality to the system.

      All antivirus software installed must be prevented from “Live”
      scanning the confocal system working directories:

      Firewalls must allow full access for the confocal system network
      connection.

If you have further questions regarding networking or third party software
installation, please contact your local Leica Microsystems Sales or Service
Representative.

Scott Young
Product Manager SP5 Confocal Systems
Leica Microsystems CMS GmbH

Am Friedensplatz 3 | 68165 Mannheim (Germany)
Phone : +49 621 7028 1151 | Fax : +49 621 7028 2780
Cell: +49 172 729 34 17

Leica Microsystems CMS GmbH  | GmbH mit Sitz in Wetzlar | Amtsgericht
Wetzlar  HRB 2432
Geschäftsführer : Dr. Stefan Traeger | Dr. David R. Martyr | Colin Davis |
Dr. Wolf-Otto Reuter

E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Confocal Microscopy List <[log in to unmask]> wrote on
15.08.2008 09:29:13:

> [...]
> to some)that
> other programs not be added.
>
> One responder asked why we would want to add anything. We of course do
not
> intend to turn this into a general use computer, but there are some
additions
> that I consider important.  I should add that we have not yet received
the
> machine -- the rep had visited to inspect the installation site, and
> apparently
> he wanted to "lay down the law". So I am not sure exactly what it
included in
> the Leica software installation.
>
> 1. A compression utility, such as WINZIP. Last time I saw the Leica image

> format, it was uncompressed. Lossless LZW compression can save
> 30-50%, depending
> on the images, and even more if you have two channels stored in
> uncompressed RGB
> (becasue the third channel is identically zero).  The datasets can be
very
> large, and transferring compressed files can save time.
>
> 2. ImageJ + bioformats plugin. We prefer this to the utilities that the
> manufacturers sometimes provide to read their special formats. We often
put
> ImageJ+appropriate plugins onto data DVDs  that we burn. It saves
> time because
> the users have something with which they can read their files. We
> can tell them
> to install ImageJ at their end until we are blue in the face -- it
> is easier to
> just give them a working copy.
>
> 3. Network -- I prefer to leave a machine which is dedicated to
> running hardware
> off of the network. However, if Leica is anyway going to make us
> connect it to
> the network, then I want to use that to transfer intermediate sized data
sets
> (too small to justify burning a DVD, too large for a flashdisk). I
> know DVDs are
> cheap, but there are ecological considerations... BTW -- a few responses
> mentioned that they are running antivirus software without problems.
>
> 4. Someone warned against installing Microscoft office on the system. I
would
> extend this warning any Microsoft software. They apparently believe
> that it is
> ok for software to fiddle with system files,  drivers, whatever. However,

> OpenOffice would be nice, mainly for being able to conveniently make
> notes about
> the system or the experiment.
>
> 5. Finally, we may want to put some tracking or auditing software on
> the system.
>
> Someone asked if we were talking about an SPE, because that system has
real
> restrictions on its OS. I can assure you all that are talking about an
SP5.