CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 1996

From:
Simon Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 07:21:53 -0500
-- [ From: Simon Watkins * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

To add 2c to the printer fray.  Until recently we have been using a Codonics
NP1600 for all our color work, It works very well for us and is a true work
horse.  The problem, as pointed out by many is the cost per print (we
are/were using @ $12,000/annum).  As suggested by others we have adopted
thermal wax as a draft medium. We use a Tektronix phaser 350  this works out
at about 5c/page for color prints, also after the purchasing dept had
finished getting bids in the cost of the printer was $4,600, closer to 45%
of the cost of the dye sub printer.  The important parts of this missive are
1: black ink is supplied gratis by tektronix for as long as you own the
printer. Such that the machine now serves as our primary black and white
printer (you know text, grants, papers and stuff).  2: The duty cycle is far
greater than the needs of a microscopy lab and the printer can sit on either
an ethernet or token ring network,  Therefore we split the cost of the
printer with a department such that they use it for newletters, seminar
announcements etc, this brought the cost down to us to that of a regular
laser jet, get two departments in on it and you might get it for free.....

Good luck

Simon