CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2009

From:
Neville Sanjana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2009 13:47:38 -0500
Hi Caroline,

I'm a big fan of the ThorLabs LEDs. They're cost-effective
and come ready to go for all major microscope brands
(Olympus, Zeiss, Nikon, Leica). I haven't done it myself but
the collimating lens and mount should make it easy to put on
a light guide.

Helpful link:
http://www.thorlabs.com/NewGroupPage9.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=2615

It's about $350 for the intial setup (mounted LED,
collimating lens, mount/threads for microscope) and
additional colors (mounted LEDs) can be had for about $100.
(yes, less than the cost of Hg bulb for 100k hours of use...
sweet!) Also, they sell a power supply for $250 or you can
build your own for less.

No commercial interest. Just a happy user of cheap LEDs
who's delighted to not be constantly changing Hg bulbs anymore!

- Neville