CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2000

From:
Ian Gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 08:26:18 +1030
Hello Cindy

A year or so ago I went through all the ins and out of deconvolution and
the helpful list discussion should all be on the archive.

We use deconvolution mostly for processing image that have been obtained
from preparations that have too many labelling channels for our 3
channel confocal. We have found that deconvolved images of dye-filled
and immunolabelled neurons in moderately thick preparations really are
comparable to confocal images of the same preps. We've also used
deconvolution a bit for images of live tissues and it really does do a
good job. Also remember that for some things, you can use deconvolution
on your confocal images to extract even more info from the data sets.

I won't go into the debate about which deconvolution system is best -
there are several really good systems out there, including DeltaVision,
Huygens (both on SGIs) and AutoDeblur (NT system), which have there
various advantages and disadvantages. All are expensive (as far as
routine software goes) but they are all a lot cheaper than a confocal!

However, I do think you need to understand a bit about how the
deconvolution systems work and as someone else said, I think, it can
take a bit more time to get your images with the deconvolution. The
other thing that I reckon you need for deconvolution is an accurate
Z-axis focus controller for your microscope, so you can tell the
programs the distance between the optical sections - this need to be
factored into the cost - good stage focussing systems come from Prior
and Ludl / LEP and I'm sure there are others...

Hope that helps

IAN

--
Professor Ian Gibbins