CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1992

From:
Paul Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 1992 09:19:49 -0700
On Wed, 6 May 1992, Don-Carlos Abrams wrote:

> Could anyone supply any of the following information regarding the file
> formats that I have mentioned.  References would be very useful.
>

> 1)	The developer of the PCX file format
>
> 2)	Whether the Digital Research IMG format is a bitmapped or
> 	vector file format
>
> 3)	Whether the Sintinel (WordPerfect) WPG format is a bitmapped or
> 	vector file format
>
> 4)	The developer of the windows metafile (WMF)
>
> 5)	The developer of the CGM file format
>
> 6)	Whether the Truevision Inc. TGA format is a bitmapped or
> 	vector file format
>

> Please reply directly to myself.
>

> Thank-you
>

> Don-Carlos Abrams

> *                                                              *
> *  Don-Carlos Abrams                                           *
> *  Royal Postgraduate Medical School                           *
> *  Department of Medical Physics                               *
> *  Hammersmith Hospital                                        *
> *  DuCane Road                                                 *
> *  London                                                      *
> *  W12 ONN                                                     *
> *  UK                                                          *
> *                                                              *
> *  Tel   : +44 81 740 3250 Ext. 2248                           *
> *  FAX   : +44 81 740 3119                                     *
> *  Email : JANET     [log in to unmask]                       *
> *          BITNET    [log in to unmask]      *
> *          INTERNET  [log in to unmask]    *
> *          UUCP      [log in to unmask]          *
> *                                                              *
> *                                                              *

Don-Carlos et. al.-

The following information is derived from the user manual for HiJaak, pg4-3
Answers are relative to the ? numbers used by Don-Carlos

1) PCX - Developed and maintained by ZSoft Corp., 450 Franklin Rd. Suite
100, Marietta, GA, 30067, (404)428-0008. It is a raster format

2) The IMG format is kept by Digital Research Inc., P.O. Box DRI,
Monterey, CA, 93942, (408)649-3896. It is raster, max size of 64kX64kX16color

3) WPG can be either vector or raster but not both.

4) WMF is kept by Windows Marketing Group, Microsoft Corp., 16011 NE 36th
Way, Box 97017, Redmond, WA 98073-9717, (206)882-8080. Size limited to
64k (at least under v 2.0), mostly vector apps.

5) CGM is kept by American National Standards Institute (ANSI), 1430
Broadway, New York, NY 10018, (212)354-3300. Supports both vector and
raster, in the same file, and indexed as well as RGB color.

6) TGA is from TARGA, I don't have the address or phone number, it appears
to be raster in 16, 24, and 32-bit RGB color.

The file conversion programs (e.g. Hijaak, DoDot, etc. ) have very
comprehensive documentation and make good resource books for these types
of question

Paul Goodwin
Image ANalysis Lab
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center