CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 1996

From:
Steffen Dietzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 09:42:58 +0200
>>2.  When we use the old SCSI card to plug the drive into another PC, it
>>does not work at all.  Does anybody have any tips on getting this drive
>>installed on another PC?
>
>We gave up completely trying to mount any sort of MO drive on out existing
>PCs!! ( they have worked when installed by the manufacturer..). In the
>end, we found it easier to transfer stuff between our MACs and PCs by
>network (FTP or MacLan) and just leave the drives attached to the MAC ..
>
>I would be interested to know if anyone has found an easy and safe way  to
>set-up PC SCSI drivers for a range of external devices on a range of PCs.
>We have tried Corel SCSI, for example, and managed to trash most a hard
>disc in the process, and haven't been game to try again!!!

When I hooked a SONY-MO SCSI Drive (650MByte) on a Win95 PC with correctly
installed Adaptec SCSI-Adapter, I was pretty surprised how easy it was:
Plug in, the system recognizes "exchangeable Hard-Disk" or something like
that and gives a new drive letter to it. Then you can format and copy data
immediately in the Explorer.

I remember that it was somewhat more complex but not really difficult under
Dos/Win 3.1: you have to install all the appropriate drivers that come with
the SCSI-Adapter in the Config.sys in the correct order.

>>When we use the old SCSI card to plug the drive into another PC, it does not
>>work at all.

How far do you get? If you even do not get the startup message of the
SCSI-Driver when booting it is probably Hardware incompatibility.
If you get this message, I would try to couple a working Hard-Disk (without
important data!) to the SCSI-Device to check if *this* works. If it does,
it is probably a question of the drivers.
The MO-Drive I had needed more drivers in the config.sys than the Hard
disks. (I think "ASPI" was the difference, but I cannot look it up because
I am in another Lab now.)
If you do not have the drivers you have a good chance to get them via the
Web if you now how the manufacturer of the SCSI-Adapter is.

Hope this helps,

Steffen

Steffen Dietzel
Zentrum fuer molekulare Biologie Heidelberg (ZMBH)
University of Heidelberg
Im Neuenheimer Feld 282
69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone: +49/6221/54-6836 or -6879. Fax: -5893
listservmail:[log in to unmask]
personal mail: [log in to unmask]