CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2007

From:
Michael Schell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:51:08 -0400

I agree.  Lose the Vectashield.  Switching to Prolong Gold will allow
you to preserve your signal for months.  None of the mounting medias
for fluorescence will completely solve your RI mismatch.  Prolong,
for example, goes from 1.39 to 1.45 as it dries (see the Invitrogen
spec sheet), but you will never reach 1.518 (oil).  Mowiol is a bit
closer (1.49), and Pawley says that 84% sucrose is the same as oil.
Has anybody successfully implemented 84% sucrose as a fluorescent
mounting medium?

No commercial affiliation.

Michael J. Schell,
Assist. Professor