CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2000

From:
Lloyd Donaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 15:08:46 +1200
Hi Liz

Our situation is quite different to yours in that our instrument is almost
entirely used within our institute. Usage averages about 40% of available normal
working hours but varies widely from month to month. We have 3 core users and
another 2-3 occasional users. The vast bulk of the work is funded from PGSF or
NSOF with perhaps some very small industry funding. We have no policy on
charging for instrument use - I believe most commercial jobs would be quoted on
estimated value of the work rather than on time or instrument cost. Maintenance
is funded as an overhead spread across projects based on time usage which we
record. Consumables are funded by individual projects/users. If we did have
major external users like you do, then I believe we would charge for instrument
time, operator time if needed, training, and data analysis, prints and slides
etc; or the estimated value of the work, whichever is greater. The later
probably applies more to industrial type work where we find generally that a
client will have a particular budget in mind. As far as my time is concerned I
work for 3-4 different projects which funds time spent using the instrument.
Maintenance time is an overhead (almost negligible).

Hope that helps.
Regards

Lloyd Donaldson
Forest Research, Rotorua, New Zealand

Liz Nickless <[log in to unmask]> on 10/05/2000 14:05:53

Please respond to Confocal Microscopy List <[log in to unmask]>