CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2012

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2012 06:31:43 -0500

Dear listserv,

In celebration of the centenary of the discovery of cosmic ray particles, the
Optics & Photonics News image of the week at

http://www.osa-opn.org/home/gallery/

is an image I acquired using one of my image core microscopes. Caption is:

Image shows 83.33 hours of cosmic ray particles striking a Hamamatsu ORCA-
ER digital CCD camera. Each of the three color channels are 10,000 exposures,
10 seconds each. Camera background has been removed and gamma adjusted
for better contrast. August 7, 2012, marks the 100th anniversary of the
discovery of cosmic rays.
— George McNamara, Analytical Imaging Core Facility, University of Miami.

Obviously, this will be up for only one week. At some point in the future I will
post the image at one of my web sites ...
http://works.bepress.com/gmcnamara/subject_areas.html

For those of you who are fans of "The Chase" - my panoramic version of the
1950's classic movie by David rogers of a neutrophil chasing bacteria, I posted
an updated version - with the original in an inset at bottom left plus segment
4 now explains more about temporal area maps (TAM) and histograms (Tomasz
Zal published this as 'temporal projections' in his 2012 Nature Immunology
article and mentioned it in his recent Leica live cell imaging webcast). See
http://works.bepress.com/gmcnamara/18/