CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2007

From:
Kate Phelps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:53:12 -0500

We are using the Arizion Research Labs OCF Scheduler. Perhaps this is the same one Carl Boswell
is using. It has a Linux server for the user database and for authentication but has local logon and
logoff scripts to track usage on Windows machines. It is available free from ARL. The link is:
http://demo.arl.arizona.edu/

The fact that you need a Linux server should not be a stumbling block. All we did was take an old
PC and reformat the disk to run Linux Fedora. Once it is up and running you don't need to know
much about Linux to maintain it and there is a convenient GUI to interface with the database if you
need to. They provide the source code, so if you do have someone who is Linux savvy, you can
customize it. For example, we changed some of the forms involved in making accounts to conform
to our needs (six digit account numbers; extra fields, etc.).

You might even be able to use the logon and logoff scripts without the Linux server. All they do is
write to a log file when a user begins or ends a session. You could then use the log file to compile
usage statistics without the Linux database.

I tried a bunch of internet cafe programs before settling on this. They worked but were not really
suitable for a core facility and sometimes they screwed up my network settings in ways that were
difficult to track down and fix. One of the things we like about OCF Scheduler is that it doesn't
affect the local network settings at all.

If you decide to go this route, feel free to email me directly with questions.

Kate